Do you have a garden shed that you aim to repurpose for something useful? If so, you’re in the right place as we have a lot of exciting ideas on how to redesign your garden shed.
Garden sheds aren’t just for storage purposes. There are plenty of things you can turn your shed into, and the possibilities are endless. As you can easily get your garden shed through Afterpay, it’s time for some awesome repurposing ideas!
Many Australians have resorted to working from home, and their number is growing because of the evolving work environment. One of the main reasons behind this trend is the need to catch up on incomplete work, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
If you are one of the many people planning to work from home but don’t have a space in your house for a workshop or an office, then you can turn your garden shed into one. However, you might want to weigh a few things before you start building your workshop.
First, you need to determine the kind of workplace you need, based on the work you do. Do you use computers or large machinery for work? If so, you will need to have a power supply connected to your workspace.
Second, after you’ve identified how you will use your workspace, you need to also consider the equipment and accessories that you will use inside. Once you’ve sorted out your work equipment, you will know how big your garden workshop should be.
Now that you already know the important things for your garden workshop, it’s time to build and design it.
If you are planning to work on this garden workshop for a long time, make sure it’s made of materials that can withstand the harsh Australian weather. One good example for this is the truss roof garden shed. This shed is made of high-quality steel that will last for many years and is easy to assemble.
After building/assembling your garden workshop, you can design it according to your taste. Add more life to it by painting it, attaching decorations such as picture frames, organising the interior, and adding storage solutions such as cabinets and drawers.
Having a spa treatment at home has many health benefits. That’s why a mini backyard spa is one of the valuable things you can turn your shed into. With one, you can relax in the comfort of your own backyard after a long day at work or school.
Here’s how you can build your very own spa:
- Consider the things you want included in your spa. Would you like an inflatable spa or a hot tub? Whichever you choose, it’s important to take note of the size of the equipment so that you can gauge whether they will fit in the space in your backyard.
- Erect your spa on a cement slab to ensure a sturdy base. Then you can install wooden or plastic flooring for further insulation.
- Install water and electric supply in the shed.
- Hire a licensed electrician to install a heating system in your backyard spa. An electrician is needed to safely connect your spa to the electricity supply.
- Install appropriate lighting.
- Decorate your spa by painting it with relaxing colours and adding furniture such as a closet, bedside table, and a sofa.
- Install window units and a skylight for a fresher and more relaxing atmosphere.
If you are looking for ways to make money from home, there are plenty of business ideas perfect for your garden shed. In fact, shed-based businesses have been around for centuries and a lot of people now consider starting their businesses from the comfort of their homes, particularly in their garden sheds.
Here are some of the business ideas you can implement in your garden shed:
With a busy life nowadays, more and more Australians are using laundry shop services to clean their clothes. It’s easy to run and it’s a good business if you have a large neighbourhood. Here’s how you can prepare and build your laundry shed:
- Check your local planning scheme board if you are allowed to operate a laundry business in your garden.
- Register your laundry business at the local business licensing office.
- Plan the features and equipment your shed will have.
- Outline the features and placement of the equipment relative to the layout and size of the shed.
- Connect your laundry shed to a clean water supply.
- As there will be water involved in the day-to-day operation of the shed, it’s important that you have water-proof flooring that will not rot over time. Start by having a cement slab base for the shed, then install a plastic or tile flooring.
- Connect your shed to the electric supply.
- Install cabinets and drawers for the clothes.
- Build a sturdy clothesline inside (in case of rain or bad weather) and outside your laundry shed.
- Decorate your shed and start your business.
Car detailing shed
If you love working on vehicles and you have the skills, along with an extensive backyard, then a car detailing shed is perfect for you. Here’s how to prepare and build your shed for this type of business:
- Ensure that you are permitted to start an auto detailing business at your home by checking the local planning scheme board. If your home or area is not zoned for commercial purposes, you might need to make a variance request.
- Register your auto detailing business at the local business licensing office.
- Plan the features your shed will have such as storage space, cleaning area, a wide driveway, and a waiting area.
- Outline the areas and the placement of your equipment in your shed’s blueprint.
- It’s important to protect your clients’ vehicles from direct sunlight so you will need good roofing for your shed.
- Connect your shed into the power and water supply, as you will need them for your tools and equipment.
- Equip your shed with water hose.
Chicken coop shed
Make your shed a sanctuary for chickens by turning it into a coop. With one, you will have plenty of egg and chicken meat supply that you can sell in the market or in your neighbourhood. Here’s how you can turn your shed into a chicken coop:
- First, get the materials for levelling your coop off the ground. This is important to have air flow and drainage underneath and prevent rotting. This also secures your chickens from pests that come from the ground, nibbling into your coop.
- Inside your coop, add many layers of cement and let it dry for a few days.
- You can now install and add the necessary features and accessories such as windows, nesting boxes, a fan (important to keep air circulation during hot, humid days), roosting area, and droppings board.
Getting fit is one of the good things you can do for your body. You can now work on your dream bod by turning your garden shed into a home gym. Initially, you will have to spend more money for this if you don’t have gym equipment yet, but you will save money from gym memberships, fares, and gas in the long run. In addition, other members of your family will be able to use it for free, too! Here’s how to prep your shed for a home gym:
- Make sure that your shed has sturdy and reliable flooring. As you are going to put gym equipment in it, having a rubber or tongue and groove flooring is a good choice.
- Ensure that you have enough space for your equipment. Also ensure that the height of your shed can accommodate them.
- Workouts produce a lot of sweat. In order to avoid the build-up of unpleasant smell in your shed, install enough windows for ventilation.
- Add storage spaces where you can keep your valuables whilst you work out.
- Connect your shed to the power supply for lighting and other electric devices.
- Don’t forget to secure your home gym, as fitness equipment cost a lot of money.
If you’re an avid gardener, now’s the time to make the most out of your garden shed. Turn your storage shed into a sanctuary for plants and put your building skills into test by constructing a greenhouse. Here’s how you build a lovely greenhouse:
- Plan the features your greenhouse will have.
- Based on the features, outline the size and build the frames of your greenhouse.
- Build the roof structure by placing the rafters in equal spaces.
- Install the greenhouse door and use hinges to fasten the door to the frame.
- Lastly, cover the overall frame with translucent polycarbonate sheets and fasten the sheets to the frames.
Star gazing is one of the amazing activities you can do in your garden, and you can experience the most out of it by turning your garden shed into an observatory. The children will love this, too, and it’s perfect for learning more about the stars and the universe. Here’s how you construct an awesome observatory:
- First, mark the area where you will build your observatory and work on the pier location and foundation.
- Second, work on the floor frame held up by concrete blocks.
- Place a gutter for the cables and install a vapour barrier such as polyethylene sheeting.
- Build the flooring. Plywood, cement slab, or tongue and groove flooring will do.
- Install the metal channel for placing and constructing the observatory’s walls.
- After finishing the walls, start working on the roof panels. Make sure that you install opening and closing features on the roof panels.
- Connect and test the electric power on the shed.
- You can now place the necessary equipment for star gazing such as a telescope, computer system, and shelves for storing items.
Bring Your shed to Life
Make the shed of your dreams a reality by acquiring a high-quality, customisable, and durable garden shed through EasyShed.
EasyShed has a wide variety of garden sheds to choose from, whether you need a workshop, aviary, or a garage. Our garden sheds are made to withstand the harsh Australian weather, with lifetime warranty for your peace of mind.
If you’re on a tight budget, we’ve also got you covered as we offer storage sheds with Afterpay. Afterpay offers easy payment terms spread over time. Get your shed now at EasyShed and pay for it in four easy payments!